1. Chop the spinach and cook in a little butter, then remove all the juice by squeezing it in the pan
2. Place the spinach in a bowl and add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and nutmeg for taste, stirring it all together
3. Then add the egg as a binding agent
4. Now add the broken up feta and mix it all together gently with your fingers
5. Layer 3 sheets of filo pastry and join two lengths x 3 together brushing with butter
6. Pile the spinach mix along the long side of the filo pastry
7. Roll it up and then make a coil, placing on a shallow baking tray covered with baking paper
8. Brush with Butter then with beaten eggs
9. Sprinkle raw sesame seeds liberally over the pastry
10. Cook in oven at 190C fan for 35-40mins
N.B. This recipe can be supplemented with spring or red onions and garlic that are lightly fried and combined with the spinach to provide some extra body and flavour.
Name origins:- spanaki = spinach, pita = pie.